The rainy blog: Dulci est patrum est pro patrum mori
Love is rain
Saturday, September 23, 2006
Dulci est patrum est pro patrum mori

Can someone tell me what that means? I was a bit tipsy last night, watching 'rage' on ABC and that quote came up.

I'm not entirely sure whether it was attached to the end of this one music video depicting a war and deaths in 19th century Europe (?) or the music video after it, which I now cannot remember.

But I thought it might mean something like "Sweet is the father who for his father dies"? Or perhaps fatherland?

I texted Joel and Alex, who both study Latin (at like 3 a.m.!) frantically searching for the meaning, and neither could provide me with a sensible answer...

Joel: "Oh it is sweet and proper to die for one's country -Horance" ... "but the first patrum should be decorum"?

--but the first Patrum was patrum... or was I that drunk?

Alex: "Dunno, something like The ways of the father are charming for the father"?


Last message from Joel: "Con pugnis Uerbio"

What does THAT mean?

**By the way, I've handed in my last essay in the overload series!! Back down to four subjects now like a normal uni student! Boy do I have a lot of catching up to do!

fon @ 8:03 AM link to post * *