The rainy blog
Love is rain
Friday, September 28, 2007

I hadn’t realised I could be so happy returning to something familiar (that’s not where my family is) until this morning. Coming into Palma de Majorca airport, looking at the signs, I realised I was back in Catalan territory. Although I’d never visited Majorca whilst living in Barcelona, seeing Catalan signs was a dose of happiness. Despite not really having slept the previous night, and the morning fiasco at the airport (involving arriving a month early for my flight, a name change and change in marital status) I suddenly found myself grinning at all the passers by and humming to myself.

And now, I’m sitting outside a café on a little square near a hospital (I’ve deduced my location from the nurses sitting inside the café) licking my lips after a very satisfying pan con tomate, tapa de champiñones and café americano. Yes - I’m happy to be back in Spain again! The sun is shining, but it’s windy and a little chilly, but hey – no pasa res (that’s Catalan, not Spanish). I’m happy, and I’d like to share that little bit of joy with everyone! I’m glad I have this (what would otherwise be tedious) seven hours stopover in Majorca. And I’m glad I decided to venture out of the airport (even though I’m already lost and I’m not sure where the bus going back departs from).

Mercedes Sosa (an Argentinian singer) comes to mind:

“Gracias a la vida, que me a dado tanto”

[more updates when I get to Bilbao!]

*** *** ***

I’m in BILBAO!

And I’m loving it!

(Thanks Sunra for getting me from the airport and letting me stay at your place :) Much appreciated!)

Pics:

http://monashedu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24431&l=d6575&id=533997463

http://monashedu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24433&l=eeda4&id=533997463

fon @ 3:20 PM link to post * *