The rainy blog: Mistaken cats & the dangers of babelfish : I (heart) NOHA
Love is rain
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Mistaken cats & the dangers of babelfish : I (heart) NOHA

Trusting internet translating tools is fatal. As part of a presentation I had in class, I presented the following slide (I'm missing Euskera, but otherwise, there are all the languages of the class represented on the slide (the majority Latin languages, as you can see).



Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? Well, first of all, I used babelfish for the majority. This means that there are two errors - one with the Portuguese, and the other with the Dutch.




"Withdraw me a cat" in Portuguese.

In Dutch... Apparently, I'm suggesting that we engage in sexual activities with the poor (male) kitty.

Well, at least Tessa was very amused. Fortunately, the cat she drew did not reflect the mistaken nature of the instructions.

I definitely am having a lot of fun with the course. I'm only sad that this semester is almost over...well, half over. Let's just say that it's only in Spain where your lecturers come out and get drunk with the whole class, and dance the night away with their students! ... and it's only in a programme like NOHA where an entire classroom is so helpful towards each other, and mutually enjoy each others company, despite the fact that all are from different corners of the world (but I still think Colombians are the most awesome ;P!)

Viva la NOHA :) *sniff* (I'm getting nostalgic)

(and if anyone's seen my phone after last night, please tell me!!)

fon @ 10:13 PM link to post * *