The rainy blog: A well-considered review
Love is rain
Thursday, April 17, 2008
A well-considered review

I hate to write a scathing review, but truth be told, ... well, if I didn't like it, I didn't like it, and it took me two weeks to come to terms with that.

So today, before once again heading to La Bilbaina Jazz Club, I need to get the last visit out of my system (I wasn't there last week because I was becoming a member of the Russian Cocaine Club, based on the roof of Olga's house (more on that later).

So...: Pete Robbins Quartet. 03 April 2008 at La Bilbaina



Let's start with the positives.

I really liked Masa Kamaguchi, the quartet's Japanese bass cellist who lives in Barcelona, plays his instrument as if he were practicing capoeira, and is too unorganised to know when his next gig is. That, in my books, is cute (absent mindedness is a trait I'm happy to put up with when it comes to real talent!)




The drummer, one Danish Kevin Brow, also got my plus points: He was relaxed, and smiled throughout his performance, and displayed an unflinching and easy skill! In fact, he was the only one who seemed entirely natural, and was experiencing some level of enjoyment!

But, well.. Pete Robbins, what can I say? Obviously, he's talented, and executes his performance well. But half a show is the presentation, especially in a small, intimate venue like La Bilbaina. A self-obsessed and rude saxophonist only serves to alienate the crown. I've never seen the crowd less involved before.

And finally, the poor guitarist. Ryan Blotnick. I don't doubt at all his skill on stage, as he plays in great acts like Akoya Afrobeats, but unfortunately for him, I think he had to work under the shadow of Robbins' ego, and really wasn't allowed to shine.

Well, to the credit of the artists - it didn't sound bad, in fact, it was probably technically perfect (which is why I still bought their CD), but unfortunately, the actual performance did now whet my appetite for another performance by Pete Robbins!

*** *** ***

From one topic to the next topic, as promised: The Russian Cocaine Club (RCC)

Below, dear reader, you find the picture of the Russian Cocaine Lord. She is highly wanted in the land of Pthhurzlazomsink, especially in the capital, Kenttalktomushvokka. Before her you see a platterful of lemons sprinkled with coffee and sugar - essential parts of Russian Cocaine.



It is obvious from this photo, that the RC lord has struck again - her eyes are wild, and she sits poised to drain the bottle of vodka, and greedily consume every last slice of lemon.

But let it not be assumed that the RCC does not engage in activities other than the consumption of Russian Cocaine. In fact, it is a highly artistic group, and as one can observe below, are well equipped to perform shadow plays involving many exotic animals - such as steppe deer and siberian husky (well, they can't be lions and giraffes, or else it wouldn't be the RCC!).



If you are also a Russian Cocaine addict, or if you have any questions regarding the availability of the product, or would like to suggest new theatrical acts, kindly visit the facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10841851554&ref=ts

fon @ 11:48 PM link to post * *